The Excelsior Springs Boy’s Soccer team clinched their second straight district championship and punched their ticket for the state championship tournament with a 5-1 win over the St. Pius X Warriors on Wednesday night. In 2021 the Tigers won the Class 2 District 6 title and finished 3rd in the state. This year they took the Class 2 District 8 title and are now just 3 wins away from a state championship. Head coach, Zac Ganzer said his team executed the plan perfectly and dominated the match from start to finish. The Tigers had excellent communication on the field and in the second half they outworked their opponents, fighting hard for every opportunity. “It really came down to effort,” said junior Mason Wartner. Ganzer said he was thrilled to see so many fans in the stands and hopes there will be even more support at their next matchup, another home match.
Goals: Mason Wartner 2, Jacob Zapata 2, and Austin Collins 1. Assists: Kolin Kincaid 2, Mason Wartner 2
The Tigers will face off against the Barstow Knights in the Class 2 State Quarterfinals at 1:00 PM on November 12, 2022, right here at our very own Tiger Stadium (612 Tiger Drive, Excelsior Springs, MO).
See the full tournament bracket and get tickets at the MSHAA website.
We keep the local news free thanks to advertisers and individual contributions!
- House Hunters: Excelsior Springs Edition – Police Pursue Mobile Home in Highway Drama
- Painting the Town – New Murals Installed in Downtown
- Excelsior Springs Approves License Plate Reader Technology
- LPR Services, Street Scans Highlight City Council Agenda
- School Board Meeting Opens with Tense Confrontation
- Excelsior Springs Police, Fire, EMS, and Sheriffs’ Reports for November 24, 2023